Friday, March 16, 2007

High School Education

I was invited to co-teach two high school courses yesterday as part of a "Career Day" at the school. In between the courses I observed study hall and was quite surprised. Probably less than 10% of the students were actually studying. The rest were either snoozing, listening to their IPods or playing board games with each other.

I went to a private high school and we did not have study halls. I don't know if this is normal but it seems like a real waste of time (and my tax dollars). My kids don't seem to have near the amount of homework that I did when I was in high school. I'm not sure if that is because it is not assigned or because they use the study hall breaks to do it.

The high school is rated one of the better ones in NY. If this is a good school, I would hate to see a bad one. It's disappointing to me that with the extremely high school taxes I pay here, that this is the best our school system has to offer.

No comments: