Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ending 2008 Net Worth update

Well, I've updated my net worth on NetWorthIQ. Like many (or most) others, my net worth suffered a sharp drop in the forth quarter of this year and is at its lowest level since 2006. The big killer was the sharp drop in my 401k which is largely invested in equities. And, fortunately, unlike a lot of others in many real estate markets, my property values are not declining.

That being said, I don't plan on buying any properties this year. I'm hoping that one or more tenants will exercise their options and purchase the house that they are leasing, but I'm not holding on to much hope. My big concern is the one property that I have which is on a variable interest loan (currently at 10.1% interest). I tried to refinance it several times last year and expect that it will be just as difficult to obtain a new loan this year. I have no hope that the current occupant will buy it and am concerned that all this money that the Fed is pumping into the economy will cause massive inflation. If that happens any variable rate loans will jump since the Fed will have to rapidly raise interest rates.

I'm in the process of applying for some temporary work with the Census. Beyond that I've also been exploring SiteBuildIt and the possibility of an Internet business. But for what, I'm not sure.

No comments: