Monday, August 27, 2007

Acadia National Park

I just came back from a week of camping at Acadia National Park in Maine. This is a park located on Mt Desert Island off the coast of Maine. My wife and I are ready to retire and move there we thought it so beautiful. But the necessities of putting 4 teenagers through college will delay that quite a while.

The park is awe-strikingly beautiful in every way. There are oceans, mountains and fresh water lakes as well as the quaint town of Bar Harbor. The park is loaded with great hiking trails which range from easy walks to steep cliff climbs, carriage roads (funded by John D Rockefeller) which are great for biking (even our dog ran nearly 20 miles along side us), the fresh water lakes provide a warm swim though the ocean was a brisk 55 degrees. The views from the tops of the mountains are some of the best I have ever seen.

We road biked quite a bit as well and saw some beautiful homes. There was also the first opportunity for all of us to go kayaking. Saw some seals and osprey during the trip. The weather was perfect all week. Best of all we survived with 4 teenagers.

I've been to few places that I would relocate too. Seattle being the other place with similar geography. The opportunity for outdoor activity really appeals to my wife and I. The hikes and bike trips we took were pretty strenuous for our daughters but my 2 sons enjoyed them. Now we just need to make enough money to afford to buy a home there.

No comments: